Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Wrong gas tank! Waterslide Decal tutorial....

 


A word to the wise when buying a used (or new) tank for a BSA B31 rigid;  Make sure you get the measurements under the tank as well as on top.  

I learned the hard way, purchasing a tank advertised as being for a B31, however it turned out to be for a C11.   This is a common mistake apparently, as both are nearly identical from the top and side.  Both tanks feature a speedo mount within with the same badges and knee pads.  Underneath however is a totally different story.  

The tunnel for the the C11 is under 2" (I believe 1 3/4") the B31 should be closer to 3 3/4".  This is to accommodate the taller and larger motor.  

A new tank from India has been ordered, one in bare steel as chrome work from there seems to be a mixed bag.  My intention is to paint anyway and starting with a fresh tank will provide some peace of mind.  With the way the post is moving these days, it will likely arrive by Halloween.  I just hope that the specs on the sheet match what is actually delivered.

I decided to have some fun with the 'wrong' tank by painting it and making my own waterslide decals.  

Inkjet waterslide decal sheets are available on Ebay and other online sources for very little money.  I go online to find images I like and put them in MS paint for editing (This is as sophisticated as it gets for me!).


I usually print off a test sheet in black and white first in order to not waste ink.   The last time I attempted this it was a mess, as I didn't realize I was missing a crucial step.  




These are my sample sheets, along with a clear acrylic sealer.  Without this step, your decals will disintegrate! 

Here are the steps I followed.

1. Select and edit images

2.  Run B&W test sheet on plain paper

3. If satisfied, print sheet in full colour on glossy side of decal paper.

4. Carefully put the sheet aside to dry for 20 minutes- This is crucial as the ink can run and will smear 

if touched.  I always make sure to handle from the corner of the sheet. 

5. Once dry spray a light (or two very light coatings) of sealer.  I used Mod Podge which is widely available from most craft shops.

6. Let  the sheets dry for half an hour.

7. Cut out your decal and soak in water for thirty seconds or so, it will now slide off onto your chosen object.

One thing I will mention, is to bear in mind that these are transparent decals. If you want them to look the same as they do on the sheet, you will need to ensure the paint underneath matches. 




I cut a couple circles out and sprayed them white before sliding the decal on.  




I apologize for the final photo which is lacking in clarity, however it should give you an idea of results.  When the real tank arrives I can do a cleaner job and spend a bit more time and care on paint.  


Until Next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment