Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Fork tragedy to Fork triumph!



Sometimes the jobs that appear to be most straightforward are the ones with the most complications. 

The Ebay fork sliders were as described and I was very pleased to get them.  An added bonus was that the seller threw in some internal spares which may be of use someday.  I cleaned them up, gave them a quick coat of paint and started to put them together.

The drive side fork went together fairly well, although it had a slight notch when reaching and rebounding from full dampening.

(It should be noted that I am using some mismatched parts here;  Unknown stanchions and bearings, etc.  Any heartache involved would be entirely self prescribed!)

The timing side was an entirely different situation;  The stanchion only slid about 2" from the top.
I tried the other stanchion, which did a little better at 3.5" 

I did not take too many photos as I was deeply embroiled in solving the issue at hand.  I will do my best to describe my work in case it can help someone else with the same problem.

I started by stripping the stanchion and placing it in the slider all the way.  I then took some painters tape and wrapped it around the stanchion at the top of the slider.  I now had a measurement to work from.

I was a little stumped as to how I would fix the inner part of the slider.

Sand it?  Wire wheel attachment on a drill?  Grinding paste?

I was then hit with some inspiration.   I began searching online for a brake cylinder hone small enough to fit to fit the bore.

Luckily, Princess Auto had just the thing in stock for $11.99.




I started honing, with occasional addition of mineral oil to act as a cutting fluid.  I would then insert the rebuilt stanchion and check my progress against the taped line.  It was clear that I wasn't getting deep enough into the bore to do the job properly.

I fished around in my drill bit spares to find something to use as an extension;  This was then fitted with some Permatex Steel Weld putty and left to cure.



This worked beautifully as I was able to get the full slider honed out to the right dimension.  I put the piece in the vice horizontally and continued until I finally achieved my goal.  With the 220 grit stones, this was a long process, one that I did over a couple days in intervals.  I would not recommend using a more coarse grit as it may remove too much material.  In that event the unit would be scrap.

The wonderful feeling of working forks turned to despair, when I realized I had (at some point) banged the top of the stanchion, taking it slightly out of round.  The nut would no longer fit!

I started to make phone calls, to see if anyone of my contacts had a spare leg for me.  No such luck.

I posted on the CVMG Facebook group and was contacted by a local machinist name Larry who offered to have a look at it.  I did not need to be asked twice!

The next day I went over and he worked his magic on the lathe, re-cutting the thread and testing with the nut.  We chatted about bikes and I admired his Commando built from parts with many handmade stainless steel pieces.  He refused to take any money for the work and invited me to return should I need any more help.  A true gentleman and a tremendous talent!

With the forks sorted, the project is now back on track.

Until next time....



No comments:

Post a Comment