Tuesday, July 17, 2018

No man can serve two masters; (Aka, Farewell to the Beetle)


Yes I quoted Matthew 6:24.  No, I am not turning religious on you.

The quote is one that did stick with me from my days in the Anglican Church and it seemed the best to summarize the situation I found myself in.

In a previous post I spoke of being struck with an anxious feeling when I went into the garage.  While that feeling passed to a degree, it never completely went away.  I believe that deep down one knows when changes need to be made in one's life.   For me, the weight of my ambitious list of projects had become far too much for me to manage.

Something had to go.


There were several reasons that the forlorn bug became the sacrificial lamb;  It was taking up far too much real estate in the garage, leaving little room to maneuver.  Secondly, not having my friend available anymore to assist took much of the joy from the project.  I also hadn't really worked on it in a couple years.  Lastly, there was a laundry list of items left to be done, including paint and body work.  That is a very large time and money commitment.

The decision was made and the ad went up.


The Beetle sold (rather quickly) to a retired gentleman with a nice, big garage.  He has lots of time and pocket change to finish what I started. 

Regrets?

Not a one.  I am very proud to have rescued it from the crusher and to have had the opportunity to work on an iconic car;  I learned how to weld and met lots of great VW people in the process.

The first thing I did was secure two new workbenches to put along the walls.  I plan to get another one up as well, to eventually have 16 feet of workbench space (4x the current amount!)

Once everything is cleaned, purged, swept and sorted I can once again focus on my first love, English Iron.

Until Next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment