Thursday, July 19, 2018

Evolution of the G9 petrol tank

I originally picked up two tanks on the cheap last year (via Ebay) and had them shipped from California to Niagara Falls NY.

These were bought to practice on and hopefully use on the project if things worked out.  There was lots of sanding, some accidents, some welding, filling and painting.   This one still requires some clean up before clear coat is applied and my pin striping leaves much to be desired;  However I am very pleased with it!  The decals came from a company in England with a very wide array of products with excellent prices and service to boot!  I highly recommend them.  




Surface rust! 


A good soak in a wood bleach and water solution removed the worst of it.

However sanding was required to remove the pitting...

Bugger!  The aforementioned repair of the badge screw mount.

Primed

First coat of pearl white paint

My first attempt at pin striping by hand 


fourth coat of black paint....

Application of decal and tape removed!  Not perfect and not factory, but I like it! 

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment