Monday, March 21, 2016

Blood, sweat and beer..



Good news and bad news.  You can usually expect both when you start working on an old motorcycle.   I got both yesterday when I continued disassembly of the G9 motor.

After removing the pistons for measurement, I wiped them down and saw +060 stamped on the top.  
Unfortunately that is the kiss of death for Matchless cylinders, the absolute limit for boring. 

No point in having them measured now!

I did some research and managed to find one stock bore barrel in England for a good price,  some broken fins but I am certain that can be fixed fairly easily.  Perfection is a bit much to ask for a 65 year old bike.  I also found a NOS cylinder sleeve that would have to be pressed in.  I picked this up as more of a precautionary measure; I would prefer not to have to have this procedure done as it has dollar signs written all over it.  Big ones.  Hopefully another stock barrel shows up (the seller I bought from has his eyes out for one) and we can continue on.

The good news is that the bottom end looks good and rust free, the connecting rods also seem to be free of nicks and cracks.  As I mentioned previously, the crank does spin freely and it will of course need measuring.  I have the second G9 motor to play with as well.  I can take it apart, clean it up and harvest it for spares.  That is my 'practice' motor and will help me better learn how it all fits together.

Should you ever need it,  I found this handy chart to convert mm to ten thousdanths of an inch.

Conversion Chart

 I truly enjoyed the process of removing the pistons and taking things apart.  Cold beer at my side, I was able to focus on the task at hand and dull all the outside thoughts that sometimes distract me.   This may be something unique to someone with ADD, though I am sure it happens to others.  As I struggled to release the long held wrist pins (probably in there for several decades) I noticed a couple drops of blood on the engine casing.   I took another sip and finished the can, wiping my hand on a shop cloth. For the first time in a long while I felt like a motorcycle mechanic.

 I have to say,  It felt damned good.


No comments:

Post a Comment